Diagnosing TMJ Symptoms In Birmingham
Here are some of the possible causes of TMJ disorder:
- Internal damage or trauma | This type of trauma includes teeth grinding and clenching, often caused by stress, which can lead to TMJ disorder.
- External damage or trauma | An accident or injury that affects the jawbone can cause TMJ disorder.
- Erosion of discs | Sometimes the discs in the temporomandibular joint are worn down by time.
- Movement of the discs | In other cases, the discs of the joint become misaligned and they can cause a TMJ disorder.
- Arthritis | The cause of TMJ disorder could be osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
TMJ dysfunction symptoms include:
- Frequent migraines
- Chronic headaches
- Jaw pain, especially near the joint
- Jaw popping and clicking
- Difficulty moving jaw: chewing, opening and closing mouth, talking, etc.
- Ringing and popping in ears
- Ear congestion
- Blurred vision (often comes along with migraine)
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Facial pain and tiredness
- Facial swelling
- Difficulty moving the head and neck
- Dizziness and fainting
- Nausea (often comes with migraine)
- Damage to teeth
- Teeth sensitivity
Diagnosing TMJ Disorder
If any of the above causes and symptoms look familiar to you, it is time for a TMJ exam with Dr. Koch at his Birmingham dentist office. Many people suffer from frequent, painful migraine and headache for years before realizing that the problem is with their TMJ. TMJ disorder can be treated easily, giving you relief from all of your symptoms.
Get Migraines and TMJ Symptoms Under Control in Birmingham
Dr. Koch can diagnose his patients in less than an hour’s time. Dr. Koch uses the pain-free TruDenta method. In under an hour, Dr. Koch can decide what the right course of action is for you and get you on track to a life free of migraine pain and other TMJ symptoms. Give us a call today to get started if you are in the Birmingham – Mountain Brook area!